Can You Ride a 125cc on a CBT Course?




If you possess either a UK provisional licence, full driving license or EU driving license and wish to ride a motorcycle (or scooter) with an engine capacity of up to125cc, then you must complete a CBT course in order to do so.

Tax, insurance and running 125cc motorbikes can be more cost-effective than larger bikes, making them an attractive option for those on a budget. Here we’ve put together five amazing models to suit all budgets and tastes – no matter their capacity!

What is a CBT?

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a type of psychotherapy that attempts to alter thoughts and beliefs in order to improve mood and behavior. It’s an objective-oriented, short-term form of treatment widely used for various mental health issues.

CBT helps you identify the thoughts that cause feelings of anxiety and depression, then provides strategies for changing those beliefs. The aim is to alleviate anxiety-related feelings and encourage greater positive self-worth.

At your initial session, your therapist will get to know you and understand your condition. They also discuss goals for treatment and how things are progressing.

Your therapist will equip you with skills to practice during sessions and on your own between appointments. They may also instruct you on techniques to recognize and challenge negative beliefs such as catastrophizing or personalisation, so that these beliefs become less powerful in the future.

How long does a CBT last?

CBT typically takes between 5 and 7 hours, though this time may differ for different riders depending on their level of confidence.

This course includes theory on bike gear and road safety, a briefing on Highway Code regulations and positioning, as well as an hour of practical riding. Cost usually applies at PS120 per person which includes bike hire and helmet hire too.

Once you complete all five elements of the course, you will receive a CBT certificate granting you permission to ride a moped or motorcycle up to125cc (50cc at 16 years old) for two years. During this period, you must display L plates and are not allowed to carry passengers nor use motorways.

At the end of two years, you must retake your CBT or take another costly test in order to continue riding on public roads.

Can I ride a 125cc on a motorway?

Riding a 125cc motorcycle on the motorway is legal, but you should be aware of the potential pitfalls before embarking on an extended trip. Before making any commitments, make sure you consider all relevant factors.

First and foremost, you should feel secure enough to handle your bike in case of any issues. Furthermore, be prepared to handle traffic on the road with confidence.

Be mindful that traffic on a motorway generally moves faster than other roads, leaving you with less time to react in an emergency.

Before embarking on any long journey, always ensure you wear the proper protective gear and feel comfortable riding your bike.

A 125cc motorcycle can reach speeds of up to 70mph, which may be slower than a car but still provides plenty of fun while riding.

Can I ride a 125cc on a dual carriageway?

125cc is the largest engine size that can legally be ridden by those over 17 years of age with a provisional motorcycle license and who have completed CBT (Comprehensive Rider Training). A typical 125cc bike will reach its top speed around 70mph, but you should still be able to cruise along at 50-60 mph comfortably.

Different models of 125cc bikes exist, some with impressive performance levels. Although these can be costly, riding one provides an incredible rush of adrenaline that can be a lot of fun.

Most 125cc motorcycles are lightweight and easily unstable at top speed, making them unsuitable for highway riding. Furthermore, due to their limited power output, you must exercise caution not to push them beyond what their capacity allows.